Monday, July 9, 2012

Josh Morgan Interview

BY: Liza Boodhansingh



Q: Introduce yourself.
A: My name’s Josh Morgan. I’m 16 years old, and I played my first show at 15. I also played eleven years of baseball before I ever played a show.

Q: Describe your music.
A: I try and take the vibe, sound, and presence of a full band and pack it into my voice and a guitar. When I write songs, I play them in my head as if I’m a pop rock band- bass, drums, keys, everything. Then I play what I hear, just acoustic.

Q: How did you get your start?
A: I was lucky enough to make a connection at the Crocodile Rock Café in Allentown, PA. They gave me my first show, followed by my second show four days later, with the help of Action Item’s Anthony Li. After those, I slowly began branching out to other venues, and promoting my music to large crowds. And its just kind of went from there.

Q: Who/what are you influenced by?
A: I take note from multiple genres, ranging from pop to metal, and alternative to rap. I don’t necessarily take the exact sound, but I’ll take it as, ‘Okay, what can I do like this?” It mainly influences my writing style. As far as specific acts, I look to Never Shout Never & The Summer Set a lot. After them, I listen to Allstar Weekend, Taylor Swift, or Plug In Stereo. Those five are probably my biggest influences.

Q: Describe your writing process.
A: Most of my songs take from a situation that I’m going through- or have gone through. I’ll just start to think into the situation, and what exactly happened. Some songs, I’ll speak metaphorically. Others, I’ll be blunt and literal. Then I hit times where just one line will appear in my head out of nowhere. I’ll just think, ‘Woah, cool. That could work.’ And from there I just chip away until the lyrics are complete.

Q: What is something that you’ve learned up to this point that has greatly helped you improve as an artist?
A: You can’t let a bad show get you down, or a non-lively crowd mess your set. It becomes hard to stay with your stage presence when there’s a room full of people plainly staring at you, and not doing anything. But you just have to lose yourself in the music, and have fun. If you do it right, they’ll get right into it with you. And as well, just to not continuously wonder what they’re thinking of your set. Because when you do that, your focus leaves, and you’ll mess up your song.

Q: What are your current goals?
A: Right now, I’m focusing on releasing the best EP I can. In the near future, I’d love to tour. I love getting to talk to people, and with a tour I could talk to a whole new crowd every night.

Q: Tell me about your best performance experience?
A: There are two- the first being a show I played with Sandlot Heroes. There was a big crowd, everyone was energetic and alive, and I had so much fun afterwards. Getting to talk to and take pictures with so many people made me really happy. The second would be the first sold out show I ever played- with Paradise Fears. They’re great guys, and it was just a lot of fun to play.

Q: Who would be on your dream tour?
A: Not too long ago, I decided if I could tour with anyone, it’d be Taylor Swift. Hahaha. Other than her, I’d love to tour with All Time Low, Never Shout Never, Allstar Weekend, & The Summer Set.

Q: What is your favorite song to cover?
A: I’d have to say What Makes You Beautiful. Everyone always dances, they know the words, so they’re singing along too. And nothing is cooler than when everyone is singing, and I can literally stop for a line and hear the whole room sing it for me.

Q: If you could be a Disney villain, who would it be and why? A: LOTS-O-HUGGIN BEAR FROM TOY STORY 3. I’d be fluffy, I’d smell like strawberries, and everyone would want to hug me!

Q: If you were an inanimate object, what object would you be?
A: Can I be the stuffed platypus that’s in my loft? It’s cool and it just chills there. WAIT. There’s also a Mudkip. I’ll be Mudkip.

Q: Is there anything else that you would like to add?
A: Just keep an eye on my Facebook and Twitter for new music and shows! Also, I’m always down to play house shows, so hit me up!

Make sure to 'like' Josh on Facebook: Josh Morgan Music
And follow him on Twitter: @ItsJoshMorgan

No comments:

Post a Comment