Sunday, November 17, 2013

Album Review: "Battle Scars Extended Fan Edition" - Paradise Fears

BY: Meredith Chaffin



In October, Paradise Fears announced that they were giving fans the chance to order a deluxe version of their EP, Battle Scars. Battle Scars Extended Fan Edition includes the original eight songs on Battle Scars plus five other songs for fans to enjoy, which include “Sanctuary,” “Who You Are,” and three never before heard songs.

Although “Who You Are” and “Sanctuary” were both released on iTunes as singles, I was happy to see them on the EP. “Sanctuary,” which was released in May of last year, has become an iconic Paradise Fears song. From the powerful verses to the uplifting spoken word, it’s clear why fans are drawn to this particular song. “Who You Are” is another uplifting song from this band. I absolutely love the story this song tells. It is definitely one of my favorite Paradise Fears songs, both musically and lyrically.

The three new songs featured on this CD are “Real to Me,” “What If,” and “Almost Doesn’t Count.” “Real to Me” is the first of the new songs on this album, and I immediately fell in love with it. It fits in well with the new sound Paradise Fears has been going for. It has some pop influences that I could also hear in “Lullaby,” which is also featured on this EP. However, I had a different reaction when listening to “What If.” When I first heard this song, I was a bit unsure of how I felt about it. This song features trumpets and drum solos that are not very common for Paradise Fears. However, I really grew to love this song. It is a very fun, upbeat song that is hard to listen to without singing and dancing along to the music. “Almost Doesn’t Count” is the last of the never before heard songs on this EP. This song is one of my favorites on the entire EP. This song has a powerful chorus, a bit of dubstep, and an amazing rap by lead singer, Sam Miller.

Overall, I was very impressed with the deluxe version of the Battle Scars Extended Fan Edition EP. I was very happy with the new songs featured on this EP and I look forward to what Paradise Fears has in store for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment